Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Summer with Johanna from Germany

„The school year ended and our summer together began. We went swimming, skinny-dipping at night, played tennis and went to the beach, lay in the grass and watched the clouds, took so many pictures. […] There were sleep-overs complete with giggling until 4:00 a.m. and pancakes in the morning, ding-dong ditching people at night under a dark sky full of stars. One day while riding horses me and Johanna agreed that God messed up – we were best friends accidentally placed in separate countries. The days with Johanna were some of the best in my life.“

Meine STUDENTIN Melissa in einem ziemlich poetischen Aufsatz über ihre Freundschaft zur deutschen Austauschschülerin Johanna, die sie in ihrem Seniorjahr in der High School kennenlernte: der Grund, warum sie an der Oakland University Deutsch lernt („I took German my first year of college because I figured it might be cool to be able to speak with her“).